Let’s talk about Teng.
He’s Cinema Rehiyon 5’s curator for Mindanao.
Born in Cotabato City and living in Davao City, Teng is also a filmmaker and writer from Maguindanao. He has directed and produced more than a dozen short documentaries and experimental works. His debut feature Limbunan (Bridal Quarter) has been screened in more than fifteen international film festivals such as Venice International Film Festival in 2010.
1. What’s the last movie you saw in cinema and with whom?
Amour during the Cinemanila International Film Festival with filmmakers Sherad Anthony Sanchez, Joel Geolamen, Eddie Perez and Che Villanueva.
2. What’s the next movie you’re going to watch on big screen?
I’m looking forward to seeing Les Miserables
3. Who’s that actor/actress you wanna sleep with hahaha
Tony Leung Chiu Wai and Johnny Depp.
4. Is there a film that made a huge impact in your childhood in one way or another?
Giuseppe Tornatore’s Cinema Paradiso and the Star Wars trilogy.
5. What film genre are you most comfy watching?
I like drama and black comedy.
6. What movies have made you cry like stupid?
Giuseppe Tornatore’s Cinema Paradiso, Yasmin Ahmad’s Mukhsin and Wong Kar Wai’s Happy Together.
7. What’s your all-time favorite film (foreign and local)?
Bela Tarr’s Satantango, Ishmael Bernal’s Nunal sa Tubig.
8. If you are to pitch a movie, what story are you going to tell?
I want to do a film on my ancestor Datu Ali Kudarangan, the last Moro hero in mainland Mindanao who resisted the American occupation.
9. Do you follow the works of a certain director?
Yes, I’m a fan of Michael Haneke, Pedro Costa, Bela Tarr, Hou Hsiao Tsien and Tsai Ming Liang.
10. Why should the Philippines watch regional films?
If you cannot travel enough, watch regional films.
Teng’s films include the Cinemanila 2012 Digital Lokal Best Film, The Obscured Histories and Silent Longings of Daguluan’s Children, and Best Asian Film for Cartas de la Soledad, at the Jogja-NETPAC Asian Film Festival.
Cinema Rehiyon 5 is co-presented by UPLB Foundation Inc. and Pelikulab. The much-awaited film festival will be in UPLB on February 5-8, 2013.
Cinema Rehiyon is the flagship project of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts–Cinema Committee.
Sir teng, love the Johnny Depp part:D