Let’s talk about Dempster.
Another filmmaker with laurel leaves. Dempster directed the documentary Taguri: The Kites of Sulu, a full-length feature on the Taosug people. His replies here sound like half-jokes, but they sure are telling.
1. What’s the last movie you saw in cinema and with whom?
Ruruoni Kenshin, with the wife
2. What’s the next movie you’re going to watch on big screen?
I might be able to catch some Cinema Rehiyon treats soon
3. Who’s that actor/actress you wanna sleep with hahaha
Have sex with or just sleep? Those are two different things for me. 🙂
4. Is there a film that made a huge impact in your childhood in one way or another?
Isla, by Celso Ad Castillo
5. What film genre are you most comfy watching?
Any brainless, stupid movie from Hollywood (comedies, they’re called methinks)
6. What movies have made you cry like stupid?
I almost cried after watching a really badly made film two cinemalayas ago. Or was that three?
7. What’s your all-time favorite film (foreign and local)?
Don’t think I have one.
8. If you are to pitch a movie, what story are you going to tell?
Already have one in mind, and I’m not telling. Hehehe
9. Do you follow the works of a certain director?
It’s healthiest, I find, to follow the work of most good directors. I guess I can’t say I follow just one or two though.
10. Why should the Philippines watch regional films?
I have a problem with the term “Regional,” it seems like it’s well intentioned, but in the end it still marginalizes artists and culture-makers to a sideline called the “Regions.” For me there are region-based filmmaking and filmmakers. The best way to answer this question is for people to find out for themselves and watch films from the regions through programs like Cinema Rehiyon.
Dempster Samarista is a documentary film producer and director; motion picture editor; and sound designer. He likes freshly brewed coffee.
Cinema Rehiyon 5 is co-presented by UPLB Foundation Inc. and Pelikulab. The much-awaited film festival will be in UPLB on February 5-8, 2013.
Cinema Rehiyon is the flagship project of the National Commission for Culture and the Arts–Cinema Committee.